lunes, 1 de abril de 2013

Vocabulary Notebooks: theoretical uderpinnings and practical suggestions (Norbert Schmitt and Diane Schmitt)

Last week I read this tesxt and as homework I had to analyze the text from my personal perspective and I chose five features that I found interesting:

  • Learners are individuals and have different learning styles
I found this interesting because I think that this is true and teachers have to take into account that every single student learns in different ways. So that, teachers have to consider this fact when they do their work. According to the text, "... teachers should not be too prescriptive when teachin learning strategies" I agree with this, since what I mentioned before about every person is different and have many different ways of learning

  • Selecting words
I think that Ss should learn words that they will use in real life, Most of them are frequent words and in order teachers to select those, they also have to consider what the main goals of the class are. According to this, teachers should select the words, I thing this is helpful since Ss want to achieve a purpose; so this selection could contribute to that

  • Integrate words into as many activities as possible
This is one of the features that i found interesting because if learners do this, the words will be in context and Ss will remember them easily. Ss will be able to use those words in different ways

  • Students could be put in pairs or groups to either teach or test each other on their notebooks
Notebooks words are a good away for learning but this words could be organized in the way that students find easier. With this, Students will learn the word in a best way an in easier form. However, teachers should pay attention to this fact in order to help them.

  • Introduce to 10 new words for a week... using good learners' dictionary
This is interesting for me because I agree with this as well as I disagree. In one way I agree because the use of dictionaries helps Ss to understand the pronunciation, howeverm on the other hand I disagree because this is a way for ss to translate every single word without taking into account the importance of the context. At the same time I think that 10 words in a week are fewer and learners could pick up more.
 
Through the whole text I found many interestin things that can be applied in teaching and learning a language, but what makes me wrote just this things was my belief when learning vocabulary. Also I know that each student and teacher think in different ways

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario